My wife gave me a Kindle for our anniversary last month, and Lonnie brought it with him from the U.S. (The wireless service works here in Kenya, but Amazon will not ship here. They say they can’t ship Kindle’s to a P.O. Box, but that is all we have here.)
Kindle books can be gifted, and I do have a wish list up on Amazon. Not all the books on my wish list are available on the Kindle, but a number are. Plus I’m open to reading stuff not on the list.
Here are some instructions from Amazon on how to gift a Kindle book:
Purchasing Kindle Books as Gifts
Any Kindle book available for purchase in the Kindle Store can be given as a gift to anyone with an e-mail address. You do not need a Kindle to send or receive Kindle book gifts, and the recipient can read their gift on a registered Kindle device or any free Kindle reading application.
To gift a Kindle book, click the Give as a Gift button located under the Buy button on Kindle Store product detail pages. You can also gift Kindle books through your recipient's Amazon Wishlist. Note that free books, books on pre-order, periodicals and other content in the Kindle Store cannot be gifted at this time.
To complete your Kindle Book gift order:
- Enter the personal e-mail address for your gift recipient.
- Enter an optional gift message. If you'd like to preview the notification your recipient will receive, click thePreview E-mail button.
- Click the Place your order button to finish your gift purchase using your Kindle 1-click payment method.
Note: Make sure you enter the personal e-mail address for your gift recipient, not their kindle.com e-mail address.
Your gift recipient will be notified of their gift at the e-mail address you provide. We will send a notification at the time the gift order is placed.
Paying for Digital Gifts
Purchases of Kindle book gifts use your default 1-Click payment method. If you do not have a 1-Click payment method set up, you will be prompted to do so during the purchase process. We'll charge your credit or debit card when you place your order. Kindle book gifting currently requires a credit or debit card on file, even if the price of the item will be fully covered by an Amazon.com Gift Card or promotional balance.
Viewing and Resending Gift Orders
You can see the Kindle book gifts you've purchased in Your Account. From the order summary, you can redeliver the gift if needed.
Note: We'll only charge your payment method when you initially place your gift order.
To view a Kindle Book gift order:
- Visit Your Digital Orders in Your Account.
- Select "All Digital Orders" from the pull-down menu and click the GO button.
- Click the View Order button next to the gift order you want to see.
To resend your digital gift:
- Click the "Resend it" link on the Order Summary.
- Click the Resend digital gift button.