I hope you had a peaceful and relaxing Christmas Day. We did. Kate planned out a party on Christmas Eve, which went well. She then invited a missionary couple over to spend Christmas Day with us. We played games, roasted marshmallows, and sang Christmas hymns. All in all it was a nice couple of days for us.
It is now the time of year that we stop and reflect on the past twelve months. All the ups and downs, the friends, the enemies, the successes and the failures get an opportunity to resurface in our minds. I have found that reflection is a powerful tool in my life. A means of shaping myself into something I find acceptable.
Expect posts in the next few days of us reflecting on 2012, and looking forward to 2013. This has been a big year for us. I did not expect we would accomplish our goals for this year, but we have and then some.
Since it is Boxing Day, whatever that is, let us start out with something light and frivolous, movies. I am a movie lover through and through. I enjoy most genres, and occasionally even watch foreign films. So what did I like this year?
- Dawn of the Dead – The original from 1978. It had been years since I last saw it, and the rewatch was delightful.
- The Three Stooges – I had expected this to be a terrible movie, but it was good. Admittedly some of that, if not most of that, goodness was me enjoying the fact that the girls loved this movie. They were nonstop rolling on the floor.
- Prometheus – I’m a geek, and a love of the Alien franchise.
- The Dark Knight Rises – Fantastic end to the trilogy.
- Star Trek Insurrection – Rewatched this one with the kids. Remains my favorite Star Trek movie.
- The Avengers – Enjoyed by the whole family. I think Kate even liked it.
- Jiro Dreams of Sushi – The best documentary I saw this year. I do not even like sushi, but I would eat Jiro’s any day.
- The Guard – One of the best movies I watched this year.
- Sleuth – The one from 1972. Brilliant.
- Modern Times – I had actually not watched this Charlie Chapman film till this year. Loved it. The kids all enjoyed it as well.
- Red Dog – Great dog movie.
Enough for now. I promise more serious fare over the next few days.