A post of lists about living on The Shire.
- Peaceful. Gone are the noises of living in a busy neighborhood. Also being further away from Nakuru equals less trips into the bustling city.
- More Economical. No more rent, water bills, nor electricity bills.
- More Space. 11 and a 1/2 acres means more room for stretching your legs. We have the space to dream big and experiment with those dreams.
- The View. We do have a spectacular view of Lake Elementaita.
- Good Neighbors. Farmers are nice to live next to.
- Kate Is Happy! Which goes a long way for keeping the rest of us happy.
- Farm. We will be able to grow much of our own food.
- Model. The Shire is our model for the future, and so far it is working well.
- Sketchy Water Supply. The spring which feeds our new community is not all that reliable.
- Dependent on Weather. Since the water supply is not so great we depend on rain more now. Before rain was just something we looked out for to avoid getting wet. Now we need it not only to water the farm, but to keep us watered as well.
- Far From Nakuru. I know I mentioned this as a good thing up above, but we still have to visit town. Now it takes longer to get there.
- Lack of Refrigeration. I miss ice cold soda.
- Ticks. These little pests are everywhere!
- More Labor. Farm life requires more brawn than town life.
- Bathing. Bathing requires more effort. Hauling water, building a fire to heat water, and stooping over a bucket to splash yourself. All this extra effort turns into us not doing it as often. Which can get ugly.